The Castle and the park
The Château de Meursault offers an exceptional setting located on the road of the Grands Crus, 8 kilometres from Beaune and 40 minutes from Dijon, capital of the Dukes of Burgundy. The Estates has 35 appellations on 110 plots.
The Château de Meursault (the building), stretches over 10 hectares including Château, conservatory, dovecote, outbuildings, winery, cellars, park, the Clos vineyard, Les Clous river and pond. The property has the dual specificity of being a Burgundy winery and having the name of the eponymous appellation! Indeed, even though there are many wine chateaux in the Bordeaux region, it is not the case for Burgundy where it is quite uncommon to have the name of a Château associated to a winery.
The origin of the Château de Meursault dates back to the 11th century when the fief of the Moulin Foulot was constructed. In 1666, a manor house was built near the mill including a main building, two stables, a winepress, a cellar, a dovecote, an oven and a garden that crosses the creek. This manor was the center of a domain with vines located on Meursault and Monthélie.
Until 1758 the pens is significantly expanded from 7 to 30 “ouvrée”, a terrace and paths are created, new buildings are constructed and Castle is arranged more comfortably. At the beginning of the 19th century a front facade is added by Charles Serre which at the same time was a vast vineyard. Italian inspiration can be noticed in the flat roof of hollow tiles of the North Tower and the banners that highlight levels.
The two-hectare park is located between the Château and its Clos vinyard. It always existed but was modified according to the English garden style by the Serre family. One may enjoy the magnificent three-century cedar and discover an icehouse, created under the park of the castle which was designed to keep food and beverages cool. In winter, the space was filled with snow and compacted ice that allowed cooling the food for 5-6 months.
The Cloux Creek, which was used by Foulot Mill, crosses the village of Meursault and goes along Clos vineyard and the park on the Northern side of the estate.
The stone dovecote was originally located in the main courtyard just in front of the entrance. However, a more impressive building for the dovecote was rebuilt later on in its present location. According to the custom, the higher the tower of the dovecote was, the bigger was the domain.