1000 years of history
The fiefdom of Foulot MIll, that was later to become Château de Meursault, was created in the 11th century, during the reign of Robert the 1st. From 12th to 16th centuries, the owners of the fiefdom changed several times due to the struggle between the Duchy of Burgundy and the King of France. Starting from the 17th century, the Blancheton, the Serre, the Boisseaux and nowadays the Halley families succeeded each other – all of them having the same ambition of developing the reputation of Château de Meursault and its wines.
8th centuryCharlemagne, King of the Franks 768-814
1162Capetian Robert 1st, Duke of Burgundy, son of the King of France Robert 2nd pious and grandson of Hugues Capet, conceeded the fief of Foulot Mill to one of his squires.
12th centuryThe Abbaye of Citeaux built the Château of Clos de Vougeot.
1443Nicolas Rolin founded the Hospices de Beaune.
1645Being the property of Mazeray Seigneury, the fief of Foulot Mill was bought by Pierre Legoux de la Berchère, lord of La Rochepot.
1643 - 1715Reign of Louis 14th, the Sun King
1662François de Raigecourt, King’s officer in the regions of Lorraine and Barrois and his wife Béatrice-Thérèse de Bauffremont coming from an old noble family enhanced the fief of Moulin Foulot.
1666Pierre Blancheton, lawyer at the parliament of Burgundy, bought the fief for an amount of 18000 pounds (approx 400 000€) and became the Lord of Meursault. At this moment, the fief owns few vineyards in Meursault and Monthelie..
1696Jean-Philibert Blancheton inherited the Château de Meursault while marrying Henriette Boussard.
1756Henriette Boussard died, leaving the Château de Meursault to her son, Jean-Baptiste François Blancheton, lord of La Rochepot and Meursault.
1760Louis-François de Bourbon, Prince of Conti, bought a vineyard in Vosne-Romanée that will be named after him : la Romanée Conti.
1789The French Revolution.
1835Charles Serre started the building of the Château and the winery.
1857The estate is bequeathed to his sons, Pierre-Charles Philippe Serre wine merchant in Meursault and Pierre-Jules Serre, living in Paris.
1867Pierre-Charles died and the fief was bequeathed to his daughter who married the Baron de Montbrun. She bequeathed the estate to her cousin, the wife of the Earl of Moucheron.
1883Louis Pasteur was awarded with Merite Agricole Qualification for his work about wine and fermentation.
1890 - 1910Building of the Orangery and small houses next to the gate.
1953The Earl of Moucheron left the estate to his son, Etienne. At the moment, the estate represents a quarter of its current surface.
1973André Boisseaux bought the Château de Meursault and restored it completely. It became one of the most beautiful and largest estate in Burgundy.
2012This burgundian jewel was acquired by the Halley Family respecting the excellence tradition and the
expression of the best terroirs of Burgundy.