Logo du Château de Meursault Splashpage

Avez-vous l'âge légal requis par la législation de votre pays pour entrer dans ce site ?
Do you have the legal age required by the laws of your country to enter this site ?



Quelle est votre langue ?
What is your language ?

FR | EN

The Castle and the Park

The Château de Meursault offers an exceptional setting located on the road of the Grands Crus, 8 kilometres from Beaune and 40 minutes from Dijon, capital of the Dukes of Burgundy. The property extends over 10 hectares including Château, conservatory, dovecote, outbuildings, winery, cellars, park, the Clos vineyard, Les Clous river and pond.

Découvrez le château et son parc

The Castle

The Château de Meursault has the dual specificity of being a Burgundy winery and having the name of the eponymous appellation! Indeed, even though there are many wine chateaux in the Bordeaux region, it is not the case for Burgundy where it is quite uncommon to have the name of a Château associated to a winery. The origin of the Château de Meursault dates back to the 11th century when the fief of the Moulin Foulot was constructed. In 1666, a manor house was built near the mill including a main building, two stables, a winepress, a cellar, a dovecote, an oven and a garden that crosses the creek. This manor was the center of a domain with vines located on Meursault and Monthélie. Until 1758 the pens is significantly expanded from 7 to 30 “ouvrée”, a terrace and paths are created, new buildings are constructed and Castle is arranged more comfortably. At the beginning of the 19th century a front facade is added by Charles Serre which at the same time was a vast vineyard. Italian inspiration can be noticed in the flat roof of hollow tiles of the North Tower and the banners that highlight levels.

The Park

The two-hectare park is located between the Château and its Clos vinyard. It always existed but was modified according to the English garden style by the Serre family. One may enjoy the magnificent three-century cedar and discover an icehouse, created under the park of the castle which was designed to keep food and beverages cool. In winter, the space was filled with snow and compacted ice that allowed cooling the food for 5-6 months. The Cloux Creek, which was used by Foulot Mill, crosses the village of Meursault and goes along Clos vineyard and the park on the Northern side of the estate. The stone dovecote was originally located in the main courtyard just in front of the entrance. However, a more impressive building for the dovecote was rebuilt later on in its present location. According to the custom, the higher the tower of the dovecote was, the bigger was the domain.

The Clos du Château

Surrounded by the beautiful dry stone walls, the Clos vineyard is an 8-hectare parcel of chardonnay vines just in front of the Château that was planted in 1973. One third of its surface is situated in Meursault appellation on a gravelly, well-drained soil and old alluvium. The wine from this vineyard has fresh and generous fruity aromas with some wooden notes and is a real ambassador of Château de Meursault.

The Conservatory

A vast brick and stone conservatory was built by the Serre family at the end of the 19th century. It sheltered the shrubs from the garden during the winter period. Today, it is the place where the reception of the Château is situated.

The cellars

The magnificent cellars created in the Cistercian style date back to the XII, XIV and XVI centuries and extend beneath the Château and its outbuildings on more than 3500 m². They can house up to 800 000 bottles and more than 2 000 barrels of wine. These beautiful double-vaulted cellars going down on square pillars offer ideal conditions for ageing and represent an exceptional estate in Burgundy.